Friday 26 October 2012

Chapters 2-4: Trapped.

I continue my venture into the novel 'Dracula'...

Ok, so Jonathan Harker has entered Count Dracula's humble abode. The story has moved on a bit since then. He becomes heavily acquainted with the Count, having frequent chats with him about everything from his desire to visit London to his 'boyar' status. I quite like this 'getting to know' of the main character, which I thought was long overdue in the piss boring first chapter.

It doesn't take too long for Jonno Harks to realise something is up. First thing he notices is that he has never eaten with Dracula, only on his larry. He also notices the lack of natural light in the place. He also notes the Count's 'protuberant teeth'. After a lucky dip of, let's say... unusual characteristics, he notices his lack of reflection on the mirror and an attempt to bite his neck after cutting himself with a razor blade. The story follows on to seeing Draccy crawling down the house like a 'lizard' and escaping into the twilight.

I find this both hilarious and irritating. Not at one point does Harker realise that the Count may not actually be human,despite noticing his constantly pallid and cold body, his fangs, his red eyes, his ability to matrix down walls and, quite simply, his lack of company. It doesn't make me think he is stupid, quite the opposite. I think he's too smart for his own good. Any idiot would pick up on his appearance and assume "Yep, he's a vampire". He does make the decision to get out of there.

After meeting these lovely vampire women in the third chapter. Harker is officially shitting himself at every moment in Chapter three and four, almost so it becomes uncomfortable. He spends the rest of his time trying to get out of the castle as quick as possible.

The ending is good. It reminds me of the scene in 'I Am Legend' where Neville is trapped in the lab, with the infected pounding at his door. The difference is that Harker doesn't have a grenade to run in to them with; he only has his will. The journal ends with him declaring his last efforts to climb the walls down and escape. I assume he fails.

I quite like this scene. But I think it's missing a cry of "LEEEEEEEEROOOOOYYY JEEENKINS!"
So, to that, I carry on reading this odd novel. Wish me luck, I bloody need it.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your reference to 'I am Legend' as this is regarded a modern gothic text. Effective picture too! A convincing reflection on your personal response to the text.

    Try to keep the register of your writing a little more neutral - it is, after all a class task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are significantly behind at present - you were due a post on chapters 5-7 on 18th Oct and chapters 8-12 on 25th Oct. Please make sure that you are caught up!

    ReplyDelete